Sunday, December 26, 2004

"29 ½ Weeks" …

...is an anti-erotidrama that tells the story of a husband and wife (newcomers Mike G. & Kitty P.) and their two cats (Zap Mama - "It's a Wonderful Life…If I Get Canned Food" and Emily - "When Harry Met Sally I Was Under the Table Eating the Scraps") in a moment along the path of their first unplanned pregnancy.

With the same mythic appeal as "Elf" and all the suspense of "Ground Hog Day", "29 ½ Weeks" –based on the book of the same name- is a ground-breaking glance into life on the edge. This movie's truest success comes in its ability to blend competing sensibilities while never losing its focus (the cats).

While the dialogue is sometimes lacking, (K: "Okay, so, we're, like, having a baby?" M: "It appears so." Or: K: "I'm hungry!" M: "And?"), the cinematography is phenomenal. Like previous films by the same director ("28 ¾ weeks", "19 Weeks, One Day", and "Ohmigod, I'm already 4 months!") the story turns on the universal idea that we all face challenges in life, it's just that some of us do it with more sarcasm and crying fits than others.

For those looking for real life on the big screen, "29 ½ Weeks" will not disappoint.

This film is not yet rated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw a version of 40 1/2 Weeks, and it was rated NC-M, as in if you are male, someone should stop you from watching! It was traumatic for me - I almost fainted - and that was a good delivery. Good luck with your remake!

Starting at about this point, my wife had a list of words that I could not say, such as House, Basketball, Whale, Bloated, Puke, and "Does that doorway seem smaller?"

:) - Rick

Share Related Posts with Thumbnails