Thursday, June 30, 2005

submit!

Before Isaac was born, I tried to send out as many submissions as possible to writing journals and various magazines. Some were poems I was revising like mad, others were essays that had started as blogs. It wasn’t as many as I would have liked, but, like I said, I tried.

At the time I thought this move wise – after all, I wouldn’t have the opportunity to concentrate on such things for…who knows how long. As it turned out, the rejections are rolling in – as they are apt to do for writers – and I’m having to swallow each one with a large dose of mommy hormones scurrying about my body. The good angel hormone on one shoulder tells me, "Oh, Kitty! The joy of motherhood by itself is reward enough! Writing is a process. Love the process!" While the bad, demon hormone on my other shoulder screams "Bastards!" (and then cries and eats ice cream).

But in fact one poem of mine was accepted, the original version of which showed up on this blog back in January, I think. I’m told it will be up on the online journal Literary Mama in the July 2nd issue.

Meanwhile, at the drawing board, one submission I made to another online mother-y zine received this reply: "Dear Daniela: Unfortunately, we will be unable to use your poem at this time…" Hey, if you’re going to reject me, could you get my NAME RIGHT?? Now, I think I understand why they call it "submission."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOH! I recently had the 3rd guy in 10 years ask me out on a date. But in a subsequent email he wrote "Dear Stacey"... For unrelated reasons, I have cancelled our date and send him my best wishes.

MamaC said...

I just have to say, I absolutely LOVED your poem "Through This" on Literary Mama. I just read it and had to find you to comment. Wow.

Kitty said...

Thank you, MamaC, you made my night.

Share Related Posts with Thumbnails