Wednesday, November 03, 2004

laughter in a blue state

Everyone I know is depressed. I believed it was possible. I hate Ohio. I think we should steal all the red crayons from crayon boxes across America. It's the most productive thing I've been able to come up with so far.

Right now I'm sad. Sad doesn't lead to action. Anger mobilizes. I'm gonna have to call some up, but for now, I only have anger memories to share. And a few other emotions…

My midwife asked if I'd officially broken things off with my doctor. I told her um, yeah, I think it went something like, "Expect a request for transfer of records!!" Yup. I didn't escape what I knew would be my final visit to my doctor a couple weeks ago without completely melting down and losing it on her. I have this annoying personality quirk that drives me to try to make people who are incredibly stupid and do things that fuck with me understand their own stupidity. While rarely successful, this most recent instance was a particular failure. I was so angry I was babbling incomprehensibly. I'll spare you the details of what set it off.

I was embarrassed and exasperated by my little display and jaunted roughly 12 steps backwards in anger management. If this baby is going to change me so much, why am I still an inarticulate hot head? But I'm holding out hope that it just goes along with all the other emotions that have intensified since I've started carrying around this little person. I cry harder than I ever had before pregnancy. It comes from somewhere deeper than it used to. I also laugh louder and more fully than I've ever laughed before. This is probably the most dramatic change I've experienced being pregnant. Flat out. My new-found laugh resonates with a timbre I don't recognize. Just for those moments that it lasts, it laughs me to a release from and, simultaneously, a comfort with the world. And as we all know, it is a volatile world. But I now share my laugh with someone who doesn't know for red or blue states, who couldn't be less affected by Bill O'Reilly or Haliburton. I'm going to drink that purity as long as I can.

Years from now, when my child asks me where the red crayons are, I'll laugh. It'll be a strong laugh. One I almost recognize. And we'll melt the wax, assign new meaning, start again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The unfortunate part of expressing one's political views is that people take it personally. I ranted the day after the sham, errr, I mean election. Unfortunately, my best friend got rather steamed at me because she took it personal. Hello, I'm generalizing?

But in a larger sense, I guess it illutrates three things:
1) people are extremely polarized politically, sometimes even within families/relationships
2) don't discuss religion or politics with friends if you want them to remain friends
3) don't let your friends/family read your blog, especially if you say what you really think.

Dammit. I liked Ohio, I even visited there last week to see if I would like to live there. I did like it, except I kept seeing Dubya signs everywhere.

Kitty said...

no reprieve for OH.

we have to talk to our friends etc about religion and politics otherwise we'll stay stuck where we are now

Share Related Posts with Thumbnails