Monday, July 25, 2005

the trouble with postal carriers

They know too much.

Never mind that when Isaac was somewhere around eight weeks old, it was a mailman that witnessed him rolling away in his stroller as I fumbled with readying the car seat. Okay, so now I know – strollers have little break levers for a reason.

These days, our regular mail carrier is really good. I have apparently never had a really good mail carrier before because it is only now that I understand the compulsion to bake holiday cookies for the person that brings me my phone bill. This one is really good. My neighbor and I share a box; and he separates our mail. Hers goes on the left; ours goes on the right. It sounds like a simple thing, but in a world where I must look both ways before crossing a one-way street and beg the store clerk not to double bag my half-carton of eggs, it is like a glorious breath of competency. No more juggling Isaac in one arm while I attempt to sort her old-people organization newsletters from Mike’s computer-geek weekly. When we receive a package, the mailman brings it and the rest of our mail to my door. "Another baby present," he’ll usually chime pleasantly. And usually, it is just that.

However, he knows too much. I’ve greeted him at the door in various states of bathrobe and morning hair. I’ve answered the door with baby crying, cats leaping from desks to bookshelves, tossing the dirty diaper out of view and swinging open my world of chaos, bits of Pandora’s box seeping into the unsuspecting neighborhood. Afterwards, I always check the mirror, trying to imagine how my presence, my life might appear to this man, and what other slices of life he must encounter in a day’s work. I convince myself that the knot of hair askew on the top of my head says "casual artist skipping the shower to conserve water" rather than "new mom dowsed in an eau d'sour milk."

Last time he came by, I was actually properly dressed and so was the baby. Small miracle. We were, however, dancing around the house to the "Pure Funk" CD, and "Super Freak" was on. Look, Mike put it in the CD player – I was just trying to make it to nap time any way I could. Out of breath, stereo shrieking to my five-month-old about "very kinky girls," I hear the knock. "You’re so kind. Thank you." I try for a demure tone as the choir over my shoulder belies me. (She likes the boys in the band. She says that I’m her all time favorite…) Perhaps I’ll order those Baby Einstein videos with their classical music soundtracks and have them delivered express mail. Maybe I can redeem myself in the eyes of the only man besides my husband who knows Victoria’s Secret insists on sending me TWO of every clearance sale catalogue they print.

I wonder if my mailman has a blog?

7 comments:

Monterey John said...

Darn, girl, you can write! Nice stuff! Keep up the good work.

I especially enjoyed your going back East stuff with the baby. I can remember doing that years ago. I grew up in Connecticut (though I'm a Ca native), so there were lots of trips like that. My wife's family was from Ft Lauderdale, so we got choice of seasons.

Anyway, keep writing like that, I'm going to bookmark your blog.

John Wilson (Monterey County)

Anonymous said...

See, Kitty? I told you you were good!

Anonymous said...

he is SO blogging about you right now.

Monterey John said...

Hey, no I'm not SO blogging about her :) In fact, she inspired me to spin a story of my own which can be found at:

http://montereyjohn.blogspot.com/

I'm afraid my way with words is not as good as Kitty's, but hey, I do what I can.

Now where is the next installment?

MontereyJohn

Kitty said...

I think Tracy was referring to the mailman (yes?)

The next installment is somewhere between here and a decent night's sleep, dear readers. My time is - how can I say? - limited. Tonight, while my husband took Isaac for a walk, I chose to do the dishes since I hadn't made that particular choice in a while and things were getting a tad gruesome. Then I rocked a screaming baby to sleep. If I'm lucky he might stay that way for a couple hours. Sweet Dreams all.

Monterey John said...

Kitty, I hope you don't mind, but I added you as a link on my blog. It's low risk as about 6 people are ever likely to see it. But I liked your stuff, so I did it.

Let me know if that is a problem. I can always delete it.

Thnx.
John

Kitty said...

John,

Not a problem. On the contrary, I am flattered. Besides, how else will I achieve international acclaim if people don't spread the word. ;-)

k

Share Related Posts with Thumbnails