Friday, September 05, 2008

DNC, RNC, TGIF

The fingers are itching at the keyboard, only outlet available at the moment.

Thank god they are over. Convention this, buddy.

Of all the nonsense on both sides, all the days and all the speeches, all the things I tried to catch, all the things I missed, what do you think was the one thing I got to hear live while driving – Rudy Guiliani. Spare me. The crowd devolving into grunts, aping “USA! USA!” like they were at a hockey game. Gross. I couldn't hear anything after he called McCain “a willing foot soldier in the Reagan revolution” because I was screaming too loudly at the radio.

If I hear those two words together one more time, I'm going to lose it: Sarah Palin. The Republicans are so hard up, it really doesn't take much to get them charged these days. As cold as my blood runs when I hear John McCain whistling through his dentures about his so-called experience, at least he's not stupid. WTF with everyone who is seemingly baffled about his choice of a VP from that far off land of ALASKA. Hmmm...what could he have been thinking?? Gee, no idea. Right.

Palin and her BS about how Obama's only penned two memoirs but no laws. A) Untrue, see below. B) Funny enough, reflection is something I value and that could potentially benefit this stubbornly amnesiatic country.

Since when do we believe that being imprisoned gives you the right to the presidency? This country could have A LOT of candidates if that's the criterion. Maybe I don't want someone versed in war to lead me. Maybe there are other kinds of “experience.” Just maybe.

“Country first” = another euphemism to license a unilateral outlaw in its xenophobic, self-serving (oh, I mean, “National Security”) wars that dismiss the only truth, that the globe is connected in economic, environmental, social, and political ways that cannot be undone. One world, baby.

So let's try this. That's all I have to say. Now I have to go write about a tomato festival.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

It's so mind boggling, isn't it? The extremes to which politicians stretch the truth and seem to really believe it is the truth. It takes work to unearth the real facts, work people don't want to do. And the media doesn't help very much in shedding light on the facts vs. the fiction. Disappointing and frustrating.

bobbie said...

Sorry you had to hear the Guiliani speech,of all things. As your brother says, the man is a cartoon.

I couldn't stomach listening or watching the RNC. The DNC was bad enough, but there at least were a few really good speeches. Notably Gore's. THAT was a good one!

The media - well - I've pretty much given up on them except for PBS. It's frightening to think that the great American public actually relies on the networks for most of their "news".

Share Related Posts with Thumbnails