Monday, March 07, 2005

the shower

(not the baby kind, the kind you take to get clean)

I get to take one every other day or so it seems. That’s with Mike still home from work. We’ll see what happens in the near future. I’ve noticed a few things about the post-partum shower.

1. At some point, I wake to consciousness standing under the water, soap stilled in one hand, rocking. Am I rocking the new baby I hold most of the day now, or am I rocking to quiet myself?

2. Every now and then, for just the briefest moment, between the shampoo and the conditioner, I forget.

3. I admit that sometimes I spend a bit longer hidden away under the weak jets of rusty water that block out crying, a routine I have no grasp on, than I might need to for reasons of cleanliness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad has said to me: "having kids is a blast."

I don't know when that occurred to him... or whether he was standing in the shower when it did. But he talked about how cool it was when I started talking.

If Isaac could talk.... wonder what he's thinking when he's crying outloud while you get your moment under the warm water....

Kitty said...

it's tricky at this stage - before they can smile and focus on you - or talk. Isaac hangs with his dad while I'm in the shower, probably thinking "where's that boob??"

Share Related Posts with Thumbnails