Saturday, March 26, 2005

what’s in a name?

I never would have thought to name my baby Isaac, except that I…dreamed it. Uh, yeah, honest. It was the only baby dream to speak of that I remember. The day I found out I was pregnant, I had a dream where someone was writing down the name, underlined it and told me "This is the name you want." I wrote the name down in my journal, looked at it alone on the page, and hunkered back down into my denial for another 8 months. But meanwhile, I brought it up to Mike and when we found out the meaning we were sold. (His middle name, Raphael, is for my dad.)

The nickname situation is still up for grabs. There is "Ike" -- and then I have "Mike n Ike." There is Zac(h) -- and then every one thinks his name is Zachary. My current favorite is Izzy, which I'm getting lots of flack for. Is it not a mom's perogative?? As if kids on the playground won't be able to make fun of him no matter what his name is.

Now, time to show your true colors. When you hear "Isaac," (or "Ike"), besides an adorable 5-week old, you think of:
a) political candidates of the 1950s
b) that bastard that held Tina back from her full, leggy potential
c) bartenders on cruise ships
d) biblical figures that barely escape with their lives

Now, about the part where he has only his dad’s last name…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be honest with ya, I never knew Ike was a nickname for Isaac... so I have to go with c and d, in that order.

What about Zke? I kinda like that for a nickname. Or is that for another name??

Share Related Posts with Thumbnails